[AccessD] "fuzzy logic" search

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Oct 21 22:11:31 CDT 2003

On 21 Oct 2003 at 18:51, David McAfee wrote:

> Yet another manager like to put in preventions such as: "Can you write
> some code that will check to see if that PO# has already been entered
> by that distributor?" I answer yes, and make it work. He comes back
> with "your system didn't prevent this duplicate order from being
> processed", after looking at the two different Purchase Order Numbers,
> I see that the entry person transposed two numbers. He now wants me to
> put in prevention for that...hey...that sounds a lot like your mess ;)

Yep, with JCs SSN close matches that's probably the first thing to
attack.

In my experience with the PNG Electoral Commission which uses 8 digit
Elector ID numbers, the most common error is transposing 2 digits in
the data entry.

I'm still thinking about ways of quickly finding other numbers which
are the same as the target but with a pair of digits transposed. When
I get it, I'll post it :-)

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg