[AccessD] Retrieving data from a secured remote db

Mcgillivray, Donald [ITS] donald.a.Mcgillivray at mail.sprint.com
Thu Sep 18 16:45:08 CDT 2003

Hello, All

I'm building a system that needs data from another Access db.  The
remote db is secured using user-level security, and I had hoped to be
able to get data out of it without forcing a login to its workgroup.
Not that it's out of the question, just that I'd rather not if I can
avoid it.  My first thought was to write a procedure that connects to
the remote source, gets the needed data, and pushes it into a temporary
table.  Then I can do what I want with the data until it's time to purge
and refresh it again.

My initial experiments have been unsuccessful, but I'm not sure I
understand the available methods to do such a thing.  I've searched the
help, and cannot find a reference to any techniques for passing a
username and password to a remote db.  I've found references to doing so
using an ODBC connected data source, but not a Jet one.

So, is it possible to do what I want?  Or am I going to have to route
users of the new system through the workgroup of the remote one if I
want to make the data available?  Any examples, tips or references to
helpful resources will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Don McGillivray