[AccessD] Today's GIS (was Info: Free Windows Fortran 77 Compiler)

John B. john at winhaven.net
Mon Sep 15 09:44:54 CDT 2003

If you haven't worked in GIS for awhile I think you'de be pleasantly
surprised how far they've come.

I was a GIS Project Manager in the late 90's just as Intergraph made a huge
switch in philosphy. They adapted Windows NT as their OS of choice and
jumped from Unix to NT, Eventually, after they migrated their customer base,
they got out of the Unix OS(Clipper) business all together, although they do
support using other OS based DBs via networks.

There are basically two main companies involved in GIS now, Intergraph
(which is publicly held) and ESRI (which is privately owned). Intergraph has
a lot of other companies using their technologies to target specfic
tasks/audiences. ESRI has a lot of companies writing add-ons or supplements
to their software.

It's an amazing set of technologies!