[AccessD] OT: Today's GIS

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 17 00:16:57 CDT 2003

The rough rule of thumb for speed and cost that I have heard is Access
below 500MB, MS-SQL up to 5TB, Oracle or DB2 up to 20-30TB and some
specialized databases after that. I would be heading for the hills after
the first TeraByte. Yup they do get this size easily, raster vs vector
storage is 10:1
I have heard of one radio astronomy VLBI group in Europe that road or
air freights their Terabyte tapes. The internet is too slow. They grab
data at the rate of 1 Gigabyte per second per telescope and they have 16
of them.

Generally the vectors or raster info is stored in a Blob type field and
handled by a secondary proprietary database engine sitting on top of the
primary database. ESRI calls it an SDE (Spatial Datbase Engine). These
work via R* trees or Quad Tree indexes.