OT: RE: [AccessD] Fw: Use this patch immediately !

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 22 10:01:54 CDT 2003

Rocky,

<<I'm thinking that the ISP is the right place for the anti-virus software
be running.  Although this would put and end to a huge industry.>>

  I do and I don't.  One hand it's the logical place to do it, on the other
it can cause all kinds of problems.  Right now, I'm jumping through hoops
with Adelphia to solve a client's VPN problem.  Apparently, in an effort to
slow down viruses  they are filtering ports used by the VPN hardware.  So it
sounds great, but it's not always because they can break applications.  A
recent e-mail from Adelphia:

"   Also, in order to protect the Adelphia network from the Blaster virus
Denial of Service attacks from customers who already have the virus and to
reduce the possibility of other computers being infected, we are blocking
access to ports 135-139, 445 and 553 on our network. This may cause
disruptions if you are using the Microsoft Mail Exchange Server services
feature in your email client software, VPN software (a.k.a.Tunneling
software) to connect to a remote Microsoft Exchange Server, or other similar
remote software that uses one of these ports will be unable to connect. "

  Most software/hardware has work around's, but it's still a PITA to fix
when something that has been working fine suddenly stops.  In this case, I
went through 15 hours of tech support with Netgear, one trip to each site,
and a lot of time to finally figure out that is was them (the VPN had worked
fine from Dec to July).

  Ever try to get your ISP to change anything once it's in place?  It's near
impossible. Took me forever just to get them to admit that they were
blocking (a port scanning log I provided finally backed them into a corner).
And it's still not fixed.  UGH.

Jim Dettman
President,
Online Computer Services of WNY, Inc.