[AccessD] Web based Project

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 23 19:12:59 CDT 2003

David/Steve

...as a long time user of Citrix I can't avoid jumping in here with a couple
comments :)

...Citrix is basically a superset of W2K Terminal Server on a WAN ...net or
dial up, both work quite well ...in fact the core code of TS was bought from
Citrix a couple of years back and has replaced a lot of the original Citrix
functionality.

...its great software, relatively pricey to implement but inexpensive to
maintain ...will do everything you want and once setup requires minimal
client maintenance ...updates are all done from the central server ...client
printers are very easy to connect as long as they're PnP compliant ...its
best if you spec a standard printer though or they'll drive you nuts trying
to tweak reports to match every printer variable.

...if your client can afford it, Citrix sounds ideal for your stated needs
...you just keep right on writing Access code as you do now and Citrix
handles the rest ...once setup you'll find the maintenance to be a breeze
and your client will love it.

...clients sometimes balk at the upfront costs but the TCO is actually less
than a web based app over time considering the high development,
maintenance, and upgrade costs of a custom web app.

...HTH :)

William Hindman
So, then, to every man his chance -- to every man, regardless of his birth,
his shining golden opportunity -- to every man his right to live, to work,
to be himself, to become whatever his manhood and his vision can combine to
make him -- this, seeker, is the promise of America.
-- Thomas Wolfe