[AccessD] OT- I am a lucky winner??

PBudge at cbsol.com PBudge at cbsol.com
Fri Sep 26 11:40:04 CDT 2003

One of the reasons that every time my bank sends me a debit card, I cut it
up.  If they can get into your account, they can empty it and you have
absolutely no protection.  If they try to use your credit card that way,
you are liable, by law, for oh, I think it's only the first $50.

Pamela G. Budge
PBudge at cbsol.com
Creative Business Solutions

                      "Don Elliker"
                      <delliker at hotmail.com>           To:       accessd at databaseadvisors.com
                      Sent by:                         cc:
                      accessd-bounces at databasea        Subject:  Re: [AccessD] OT- I am a lucky winner??
                      dvisors.com

                      09/26/2003 11:11 AM
                      Please respond to Access
                      Developers discussion and
                      problem solving

Thank you Pamela and Gustav- I will stear clear. I had heard about debit
cards not having the same protection as credit cards, maybe that's why the
alarm bells went off in my head. There's a lot of suspicious stuff on the
site - "we can't accept credit cards because of merchant account problems"
and " you or someone you know registered your email account" (within the
three days since the site was registered??)  _D

"Things are only free to the extent that you don't pay for them".-Don
Elliker

>From: PBudge at cbsol.com
>To: Access Developers discussion and problem
>Subject: Re: [AccessD] OT- I am a lucky winner??
>Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:50:43 -0500
>

>Googled it up and this is what I found for this website -
>http://www.rampancy.net/ -
>
>Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 03:05 narcogen - business · legal · rumor ·
>xbox
>Just to let everyone know, I-- like I suspect many have in the Halo
>community-- been receiving email that loudly proclaims that it "is not
>spam" from a site called GiftStakes.com, and announcing that you've won an
>Xbox, and all you need to do is claim it from their website.
>
>If you follow the link, you'll be asked for a code from the email, and
>taken to a page to enter your name and address.. and then they'll ask you
>to pay for the shipping and handling of your prize. Debit card is the only
>payment method accepted.
>
>There are a number of things about this that are extremely suspicious, and
>unless you're willing to part with that shipping and handling fee on the
>off-chance that this is legitimate-- perhaps risking much more if your
>debit card number is abused in any way-- I'd advise against taking
>advantage of this "offer".
>
>Although the site itself looks quite professional, with picture of
supposed
>prize winners from June, July, and August of this year-- the domain
>giftstakes.com where the site is was registered through GoDaddy only three
>days ago.
>
>That debit cards are the only accepted payment method is also suspicious;
>as you may already know, most of the mechanisms in place to dispute a
>fraudulent charge to your credit card don't apply to debit cards.
>
>The registrant for the domain is one "Domains By Proxy, Inc" which lists
as
>its only address post office box in Scottsdale, Arizona. Complete
>information is here:
>Private, Registration
>GIFTSTAKES.COM at domainsbyproxy.com
>Domains by Proxy, Inc.
>15111 N Hayden Rd., Suite 160
>PMB353
>Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
>United States
>(480) 624-2599
>If anyone has actually received a prize from these people, we'll gladly
>post that this whole thing is above-board, but at the moment I'd urge
>people to protect themselves and not participate in this unless they are
>prepared to be duped.
>

>Given the PO box and the newness, I would not be willing to give them any
>numbers or access to my accounts.
>
>Pamela G. Budge
>PBudge at cbsol.com
>Creative Business Solutions
>

>                       "Don Elliker"
>                       <delliker at hotmail.com>           To:
>accessd at databaseadvisors.com
>                       Sent by:                         cc:
>                       accessd-bounces at databasea        Subject:
[AccessD]