[AccessD] OT- I am a lucky winner??

Stuart Sanders stuart at pacific.net.hk
Fri Sep 26 11:56:30 CDT 2003

Well... Since this might be vaguely on topic...

I can honestly say I don't know how a bank stores your pin number.  What I can
say is that neither a bank and its employees *may* not be able to get your pin
number except via the old fashioned brute force method.

The reason this might be considered on topic is because it uses a method which I
use in access for storing certain data ... Like user passwords for my light
security.

Hows does this work you say?  (well I hope someone is interested anyway)

There are algorithms that produce a 1 way irreversible hash of a string (or
number as the case may be).  So when you initialise or change a password, you
create the hash, and store the hash only, not the pin or password itself.

When you need to check for user authenticity the user enters the user name
(inserts the card) and then enters the password/pin.  You can verify whether the
password/pin is correct by running the same hash on it and then comparing the
result to the stored hash in the database.

Thus you have a method that enables you to "store" the pin/password without
actually being able to recover it except by a brute force method.  Ie to find
the correct password/pin you would have to enter something and then compare the
hashed result with the "correct" stored hash.

The are many of these algorithms, some being more secure than others.  A
relatively simple and commonly used one is md5.

Cheers

Stuart