[AccessD] Query problem

Bridget Doran bridgetd at biostat.umn.edu
Thu Apr 8 12:57:50 CDT 2004

Hi all -

Working in Access2K.

I am querying non-normalized data to get records where there are some
duplicate ID's. Each of these duplicate records will have a date field
called DOT. I want only the record for the earlier date in the cases where
there are duplicate ID's. But I also want all the records where there are no
duplicates. How would I query for this?

The problem I am addressing is data that has both static and changing
fields. A patient has basic demographic info as well as multiple transplants
(2 at most). What the original database did here was just added another
record with the same Patient ID and a second transplant date with new info
for many of the fields but not the static/demographic fields. The first
transplant date has the static fields.

I have only querying rights to this database and we are building a research
database that is dependent on it. So, I am attempting to build some
normalization into our research database with queries.

Thanks for any help!

Bridget Doran
Biostatistics Consulting Lab
Division of Public Health