[AccessD] OT: Extract Oracle Schema Information

chizotz at mchsi.com chizotz at mchsi.com
Fri Apr 23 11:28:36 CDT 2004

I know this is pretty far afield, but I could sure use some help. Pointers to
help would be great, no need for a big off-topic discussion here. Private
emails also would be very welcome, either to chizotz at mchsi.com or
rrallen at tribmail.com.

I have a huge (ca. 400 table, 250 view) Oracle database with no schema
information available. Is there a utility somewhere that can pull out the
table names, datatypes, and relationships quickly for me? I've tried reverse
engineering it with Visio 2003, which is great except that it is so huge that
Visio just creates a very messy and densly packed mess that will still take me
days or even weeks to sort out. I do _not_ have access to any Oracle tools and
can not use SQL*Plus or anything like that. I can connect to this database via
ODBC only.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ron Allen
Circulation Systems Administrator