[AccessD] ORDER BY BUG using Date format AARHG

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Apr 3 06:59:21 CST 2004

On 3 Apr 2004 at 12:40, Gustav Brock wrote:

> Hi Stuart
>
> I never understood the difference. Contrary to what you tell, I've
> learned as well, and the on-line help (A97) tells, both return VarType
> vbString (8).
> How could one ever tell a difference between 8 and 8?
>
> This could be a subject for Susan:
>
>   Why always use ..$() when possible, when nearly no one does ...

1. Because it's more efficient.
    a.  it uses less storage for the variable
    b.   it avoids the overhead of interpreting the type every time
         it is referenced

2. It prevents accidental type conversion when you don't intend it.
Variant "coercion" can introduce subtle bugs into your code which are
difficult to isolate.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg