[AccessD] OT: open source

Susan Harkins ssharkins at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 6 18:21:58 CDT 2004

1) They sell it. Red Hat is a perfect example. The sell boxed sets, well
they used to. They sell server versions of Linux.

2) Selling support. Red Hat again. They sell support along with the boxed
sets.

3) Donations. Not a get rich quick scheme, I know, but for some enough to
get by.

========Can't imagine this creating huge corporations -- but I'm wrong a
lot. ;)

> Anybody using MySQL and paying for the support? I absolutely hate
> using MySQL, but I wouldn't pay for support. There's got to be part of
> the puzzle that I'm missing.

Why do you hate it? Is it because you are not used to it? Or you don't under
stand it? Or there is no GUI for it?

=========All of the above. The documentation is some of the worst around --
it use to be. MS is rather dry, cryptic, and even sometimes wrong, but you
can understand it. I could barely read through the MySQL documentation. Mind
you it's been a few years so they've probably improved things a lot as
they've grown (I would hope). Just personal experience though -- I don't
like to work so hard. :)

Susan H.