[AccessD] OT: open source

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 6 22:03:29 CDT 2004

On 6 Apr 2004 at 22:52, Susan Harkins wrote:

> Do you make your living from this list? If all of your clients or your
> boss suddenly said "Keep it up, you're doing great, but btw, you're
> working for free now, aren't you?" Or, how about, "And show this new
> guy everything you know so we don't need you anymore." -- would that
> be OK?

Yea, but the thing is, open source doesn't HAVE to be free, as in no
cost, but free as in source code availability.

I think that is part that is the hard part to understand, or at least
grasp.

Free doesn't necissicarily mean no cost.

Here is a page that may help sort things out.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

If not, then there are a ton of links here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
When everything is coming your way......you're in the wrong lane.