[AccessD] OT: open source

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Apr 7 00:06:09 CDT 2004

On 6 Apr 2004 at 22:52, Susan Harkins wrote:

> If all of your clients or your boss
> suddenly said "Keep it up, you're doing great, but btw, you're working for
> free now, aren't you?"

No.  I charge for my time in developing/supporting software. They can
find someone cheaper than me, but they won't find anyone better than
me at what I do and they know it. So they are quite happy to pay for
my services although there is nothing "secret" about what I am doing.

> Or, how about, "And show this new guy everything you
> know so we don't need you anymore." -- would that be OK?

Yep, not a problem. It took me 20 years to learn. In 20 years time,
I'll be more than ready to hand over the reins to him. In the
meantime, my clients pay me for that experience.

I also make sure that my clients have the source for anything I
develop.  If anything happens to me, they can get someone else to
maintain/continue to develop it.   Until that something happens, they
keep me maintaining/developing it because of the skills I have.

If I went the MS way, what would my clients do if I was hit by a bus
tomorrow?

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg