[AccessD] A2K:Adding the word ALL to a combo

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 13 22:35:44 CDT 2004

Hi Darren:

The only way I know to add 'all' to a combo/list box is through a recorsdset
that I supply myself. The gem piece came from an example code segment
supplied in Access97 help files. I can not remember what the request was
that found it but I have used a variation on that theme for years. Below is
the base piece; I just cut and pasted it from one application I have just
finished.

The call to this function is made from the list/combo boxes by placing the
functions name in the 'Row Source Type' property i.e. : FillFunctionCode

And a sample of the function:

Public Function FillFunctionCode(ctlBox As Control, ID As Variant, row As
Variant, col As Variant, Code As Variant) As Variant
    Dim bolDBStatus As Boolean
    Dim mvReturnVal As Variant

    On Error GoTo Err_FillFunctionCode

    bolDBStatus = True
    If rsFunctionCode Is Nothing Then bolDBStatus =
FillRecordsetFunctionCode()

    mvReturnVal = Null

    If bolDBStatus = True Then
        With rsFunctionCode
            Select Case Code
                Case acLBInitialize                 ' Initialize.
                    bolStatus = True

                    If .BOF = False Or .EOF = False Then
                        .MoveFirst
                        mvReturnVal = .RecordCount
                    Else
                        mvReturnVal = 0
                    End If
                Case acLBOpen                       ' Open.
                    mvReturnVal = Timer             ' Generate unique ID for
control.
                Case acLBGetRowCount                ' Get number of rows.
                    mvReturnVal = .RecordCount
                Case acLBGetColumnCount             ' Get number of columns.
                    mvReturnVal = ctlBox.ColumnCount
                Case acLBGetColumnWidth             ' Column width.
                    mvReturnVal = -1                ' -1 forces use of
default width.
                Case acLBGetFormat                  ' Get format
                    mvReturnVal = -1
                Case acLBGetValue                   ' Get data.
                    .MoveFirst
                    .Move (row)
                    mvReturnVal = .Fields(col)
            End Select
        End With
    End If

    FillFunctionCode = mvReturnVal

Exit_FillFunctionCode:
    Exit Function

Err_FillFunctionCode:
    'Handles error situation caused an apparent unrelated error(s)
    'generated in other modules. (It loses its brains...)
    If Err.Number = 3167 Then
        rsFunctionCode.Requery
    ElseIf Err.Number = 3704 Or Err.Number = -2147467259 Then
        Resume Exit_FillFunctionCode
    ElseIf Err.Number <> 91 Then
        ShowErrMsg "FillFunctionCode"
    End If
    Resume Exit_FillFunctionCode

End Function

There still needs to be a piece of code that fills the recordset, in this
case a recordset named 'rsFunctionCode'. In the recordset creating routine
is where 'All' would be added. If you need I can send the code that
populates the recordset but there are so many ways to do that.

HTH
Jim