[AccessD] RE: jpg Screen shot

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Apr 26 19:55:53 CDT 2004

I have found that GIF and PNG files are virtually identical in compression
size. I used Fireworks to compress files and had little difference in size
or quality but...If you have to use screen shots, that have many tonal
colours GIF/PNG files are not the correct format.

The method that I use rendering large graphics objects smaller is:
1. Acquire all pictures at the largest format possible, in the best standard
available, say in TIFF.
2. Never reduce greater than 50% without applying the 'Unsharp Mask'.
3. Reduce more, apply the mask and so on until the graphic is the right
size.
4. Translate the object to either GIF or JPEG.

I use Fireworks but I understand that ImageReady is equally as good. FW has
a great export wizard, for optimizing the graphics for web use and I can see
both the JPEG, GIF PNG results, side by side. The end result byte size can
be preselected, the displayed images can be zoomed in and carefully checked
and different what-if scenarios can be viewed, picking the number of
colours, anti-aliasing, optimization, sharping, unused color removal,
compression, adaptive colouring etc... I am still learning but the results
are getting better all the time.

Jim