[AccessD] Converting Access to MySQL & ASP.Net

Scott Marcus marcus at tsstech.com
Wed Aug 18 08:32:00 CDT 2004

I'm just about finished converting an Access97 project to ASP.Net with MYSQL backend. I must say that this is pretty cool stuff.

Questions:
1)Is the best tool for reports for this situation, Crystal Reports and their web server control? What other options do I have?

2)I haven't implemented any security yet. Should I use Windows authentication or create login pages or use some other method?

3)I'm currently using IIS locally with WinXP Pro, any gotcha's moving the application to my Win2003 Server?

4)I'm using MySQL 4 on the Win2003 Server machine, what problems might I have when moving it to Linux? I have an experienced Linux/Unix administrator to help me, but he is new to MySQL.

Here is what my setup will be...

Linux for MySQL
Windows Server 2003 for IIS (already setup)

Each user will have Win2000 or WinXP Pro with IE 6.

Scott Marcus