[AccessD] Advice on a table transformation

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Fri Aug 20 13:55:48 CDT 2004

I have a table with a bunch of columns containing numeric values, most
of them recording tons, a few recording values, and one recording the
last day of a given month. There may be 10 years of data. Each month is
represented by one row using its last day as the identifier. Then we
have a bunch of columns whose values come from a collection of tables
(i.e. sales figures, production figures, etc.). Some of the values are
input by (alleged) humans.

For example (these are just a few of said columns)

Opening Stocks -- numeric
Working Stocks -- stock on hand to cover emergencies (plant shutdown,
worker strike, machine breakdown etc.)
Production -- numbers derived from a table sent to my client by the
producer (in this case a mine)

There are a couple of dozen such columns.

Now, to my question. I need to present this data in a sort-of
spreadsheet format, wherein every column (save the date) is presented as
a row, and the values are presented in the appropriate Year/Month
column, so that the result looks like this:

                  Jan 2005    Feb 2005    Mar 2005     etc.
Opening Stocks    6843        6829        etc.
Working Stocks    5500        5500        etc.
Production       10572       10121        etc.

I've been playing around with the crosstab wizard, at which I am no
expert, but it doesn't seem to be giving me what I want. The PivotTable
wizard is closer to what I need, and quite powerful, but I still can't
get exactly what I want.

Any ideas? Maybe I have to do it all in code? Or maybe I just need to
learn more about either the crosstab or the pivot-table wizard?

TIA,
Arthur

P.S.
This is an Access MDB not a SQL BE.