[AccessD] Names or numbers?

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Aug 4 10:20:28 CDT 2004

On 4 Aug 2004 at 13:50, Roz Clarke wrote:

> Has anyone got any thoughts on naming conventions? Any experience of fully
> numeric naming systems that they can share? I have the authority to overrule
> him but this is a really big project so I want to get it right, and he is
> (theoretically) a lot more experienced than I am. He just hasn't come up
> with any convincing arguments.

First question, why are you limited to 8 character names?  Unless that is a
limitation of the DBMS, and I can't think of one today that has such a limit,
there is no reason to do so.

Numerics
Con: Meaningless numeric names are a good method of "job security by
obfuscation".   They make code maintenance a bastard even for people who are
working with the system regularly.   They are a total nightmare for anyone who
has to come in later and make sense of what was previously developed.

Pro: I can't think of anything

MeaningfulNames:
Pro: Makes code easier to follow, especially if you use one of the commmon
conventions such as Leszynski/Reddick
Con: I can't think of anything

Try googling "naming conventions database" :-)

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg