[AccessD] OT: Why not reply at top of message

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Aug 5 21:04:07 CDT 2004

On 6 Aug 2004 at 11:42, Kath Pelletti wrote:

> Interesting - but I completely disagree.
>
> Following the same logic - when you write a system with a continuous
> form - do you display the *latest* records at the top - or make them
> scroll all the way down to see the latest data?

When Access adds a new record to a continuous form/table/query does it add it
at the top or the bottom?

A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
Q. Why is top posting bad?

> I think that displaying chronological order descending is simple and
> for a list like this where we have already read the original post we
> only want to read the reply

And with a long thread with lots of different opinions and branches?   Take
recent thread about "RE: [AccessD] Naming Conventions".  Top posts became very
difficult to follow. Once the discussion had split off into Integers v Longs,
there was no way of telling what the respondent is responding to without
scrolling down and then back up again.

> I also think that your definition of Usenet Etiquette, like most
> 'rules' on the Internet can always be open for reasonable debate.

There's plenty of that. Try gooling ["top posting" "bottom posting"]

> I guess the question is - what is the netiquette for AccessD on this
> topic?

I know what I'd like it to be  <grin>

--
Lexacorp Ltd