[AccessD] Edit contents of field.

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Mon Aug 9 11:26:33 CDT 2004

ROFL!

Not to divert this thread into the OT group, but I just had an
experience I feel obligated to share, and it's on point. I play a
musical instrument called tabla; for those unacquainted with tabla, it's
a pair of drums, one bass and one treble, as it were. Tabla are core
instruments in Indian, Pakistani, Afghani and generally Persian musics
(with variations in Morroccan etc. musics). Recently the son of one of
my closest friends visited me for a few days. He's 18 and a drummer
(kit, as in standard Rock kit), but when he was 11 I introduced him to
tabla. And on this recent visit he told me that I was his inspiration to
become a drummer. That is a most gratifying feeling!

Last Thursday Sean and I visited my tabla teacher, who is without
question one of the finest tabla players in the world, and almost
certainly the finest in "singing the notes" (i.e. every tabla stroke has
a name, and there exists notation for stupid white folks such as myself,
but the method begins at "singing the notes" and then once you can sing
it you can simply type it out. Ritesh is IMO the best in the world at
"singing the notes".

Anyway, young Sean and I went to a rehearsal of the Toronto Tabla
Ensemble. We heard the group practise three or four compositions
repeatedly. Young Sean got into it -- hell, he was transported! I looked
at his face and his fingers tapping on his thighs and it was beautiful.
He has WAY more talent than I. After 20 years of study, I remain a lousy
player of tabla. Not Sean! After my brief introduction and induction
into a rehearsal with one of the finest in the world, Sean is Gone, I
daresay.

The point of this story is this: we walked in a little late, when they
were already rehearsing. Ritesh spotted us and while the group was
playing, he stopped and said, "Hey, Arthur! This must be your friend
Sean!" (I had told Ritesh we were coming.)

They continued the rehearsal and when it was time to take a break,
Ritesh came to us and shook my hand and turned to Sean and said,
"Welcome, Sean. I hear Arthur was your inspiration."

Sean lives in Boston, and Ritesh immediately connected him with a few
tabla players in that city.

One of the finest tabla players in the world, Ritesh is utterly without
ego/snob/primadonna pretensions. He trusted the fact that I brought Sean
there as evidence enough. Perhaps I'm not even part of the loop. Had
Sean gone there himself, Ritesh would undoubtedly treated him the same.
Drums are his life, and anyone interested is therefore a friend.

Occasionally, I too teach courses. I'm trying to keep the model of
Ritesh in my mind.

A.