[AccessD] Naming Conventions

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 11 02:09:30 CDT 2004

That is an interesting point.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the new conventions; there are reason that
Microsoft feels that the new standards should be used. I wonder if these are
more to promote their development environments and to establish a developers
dependency on their products than to assist.

Some of the reasons they give for coding in the new standard are that the
editors are now case sensitive so that variables entered like thisvariable
are different from thisVariable and ThisVariable and Thisvariable.

Another is that their editors now will display the variable type by just
hovering over them. Microsoft has gone so far as to have their editors, by
default, not identifying certain variables that do not match their new style
standards...i.e. a constant or static variable would not be recognized as a
variable unless they use the camel style; myCustomerName but not
MyCustomerName.

I hope their, Microsoft's reasons for moving all developers to the 'new
standard' is to improve coding efficiency and readability and not just to
hijack the industry into their camp as they tried to do with Java or like
they did against open-GL and their DirectX.

My two cents worth.
Jim