[AccessD] OT: Why not reply at top of message

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 14 09:57:13 CDT 2004

On 6 Aug 2004 at 10:18, Kath Pelletti wrote:

> Here's a Friday rant - is there a reason that people are replying to
> emails and putting their response at the bottom of the message instead
> of at the top? It's so much harder to quickly read through - you have
> to scroll down and find the response.
>
> I know that sometimes you have to do this when you are replying to
> different *parts* of the message - but otherwise - what the reason?

Let me start by saying that I'm sorry for resurrecting a dead thread,
but I just need to add my $0.02 worth to it, now that I'm back from
vacation.

The main reason for bottom posting is netiquitte. It's only since OE
and OL became as wide spread as they are that top posting became
popular.

Most folks, when top posting (and I'm guilty of it when I post from
work) don't bother to snip ANYTHING in their reply. You get multiple
copies of the mailing list fotter, plus any other footer that
outgoing that mail servers add.

Let's take a couple of extreme examples.

1) When I got back from vacation, I had an e-mail from the list
software telling me that a post was held because it was too big. It
was a reply to a thread and it was OVER 40K, for 2 short lines of
text. It include 10, yep TEN copies of the AccessD list footer. Not
to mention the fact that the 2 short lines of reply had nothing to do
with then 8 previosly FULLY quoted emails. The only one that was
relevant was the most recent one. A bottom poster would have gotten
rid of all the extraneous stuff.

2) Another example of this is a post in this thread. A top post that
is only 3 lines long that is over 10K. That is even bigger than
Stuart's large bottom post e-mail, which was mostly new content and
only weighed in at 9.1K.

Then On 6 Aug 2004 at 11:42, Kath Pelletti wrote:

> Following the same logic - when you write a system with a continuous form
> - do you display the *latest* records at the top - or make them scroll all
> the way down to see the latest data?

Nope. It goes at the bottom. Oldest at the top. Newest at the bottom.
Just like everything else I do. I need context, the older stuff,
before I can understand the new stuff.

> on the Internet can always be open for reasonable debate. I guess the
> question is - what is the netiquette for AccessD on this topic?

There isn't any netiquitte for top/bottom posting, nor is there any
for trimming irelevant material. It's all left up to the individual.

Then On 6 Aug 2004 at 12:31, you wrote:

> the result is going to be that everyone starts bottom posting and I'll
> bitterly regret raising the topic!!

Never regret doing anything that causes everyone to examine why they
do what they do.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at sympatico.ca
A pat on the back is only a few inches from a kick in the butt.