[AccessD] OT Friday

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 16 14:49:58 CDT 2004

I have played Carling in Canada, a more macho form of curling. You get a
3 mile stretch of lake ice cleared of snow and at least 2 feet thick.
Less thickness than that causes the ice to crack and pressure waves to
build up.
You then paint a series of concentric rings with at least a 100 foot
radius at one end. You then get the various competitors cars
and equip with studded tires and surround the car securely with old
tires. Each competitor guns his car up to 100 mph
upon crossing the hog line about a mile from the circle he removes his
foot from the accelerator and attempts to coast his car
as close as he can to the center of the circle, the other team may
attempt to remove competitors cars by knocking it from circle.
Triple takeouts are much celebrated,  however sweeping brooms in front
of incoming cars to change the cars direction and speed is discouraged
for obvious reasons.

This may make a great Olympic Winter sport.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.