[AccessD] [dba-OT] Contract Work - Time Sensitive Questio n : x-posted d ba-OT

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Aug 19 11:55:55 CDT 2004

Hi Mark:

If you do decide to get into this project be sure to get clear list of
information. I find it is best to get a retainer fee up front before any
work is started, especially involving dubious adventures. This initial
amount provides a number of benefits;

First, it shows how serious the clients are, with the project and you.
Second, it also implies a commitment on the client's part.
Third, it shows that they are willing to pay for work done.
Fourth, it will set the business tone of the contract.
Fifth, in the worst case scenario, if the project goes 'off the tracks', at
least you are not totally out pocket and time.

The amount charged ranges from one quarter to one third but that depends on
the specific project.

The previous are suggestions have worked well with many of my new contracts.
Your situation may be different but I hope this helps.

Jim