[AccessD] Every 100th record

chizotz at mchsi.com chizotz at mchsi.com
Fri Aug 27 11:38:54 CDT 2004

John,

I have to do this every year. The newspaper industry has a regulatory agency
called ABC that requires Nth Factor sampling for audit purposes. They hand you
a requirement such as "start with subscriber 112 and give me every 96th
subscriber after that". This is from an unordered set of subscriber data, to
end up with a random sample. The numbers they hand you are based on your total
number of subscribers and will theoretically result in a random sample of
subscribers sufficiently large enough to represent the entire set. Your client
may want this for a similar reason.

I'm sure you've already considered this but...

It may not be the "best" approach, but I just create a temp table and then
loop through the unordered data to the start row and save that and every Nth
row after that to the temp table. It's straightforward and easy to maintain,
and in my case it's fast enough to not be too concerned with efficiency (once
a year, who cares how long it takes to run as long as it isn't for days or
something). That may not be workable for your case though, if they want this
on demand and to run very quickly and there are a large number of records.

Ron