[AccessD] A2003: FTP and Network Connection Gurus

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Wed Dec 8 20:25:12 CST 2004

On 9 Dec 2004 at 9:14, Darren DICK wrote:

> Hi All
> I need to add an FTP upload screen to one of my APPS
>
> Firstly - lemme say I know nothing about such things
> The client's  Network dude gave me...
> A Server Name
> A UserName
> And a Password
>
> So...I opened up an FTP client and successfully transferred the
> back end of the app (About 4meg) to the FTP location he supplied
> with the credentials he supplied - Phew so far so good :-))
>
> Anyone got any code or forms or URL's they'd like to share so I can
> incorporate something like an FTP scheduler in my app, to run nightly?

You can do it by very easily by scripting a FTP session and scheduling it
using built in Windows capabilities (Look up FTP commands in WIndows Help):

Create a text file (c:\ftpstuff\myscript) containing the following,
substituting the appropriate info. Make sure that there are no trailing
spaces on the lines:

open ftp.myftpserver.com.au
myusername
mypassword
send c:\ftpstuff\myfile.mdb
disconnect
quit

Note:  This should work, depending on the FTP Server he is using.  Some
require a line like "USER myusername mypassword" in place of the two lines
with above.

Then schedule a one line batch file  containing the command:

ftp -s:c:\ftpstuff\myscript

> Secondly how do I then link a front end to this FTP'd backend?
> I know the IPADRRESS of the FTP destination, but don't know the
> share or what the 'true' location of the FTP'd file is
>
> I have relinking code that can link to all the tables in say....
>  \\123.123.456.789\SomeShare\SomedB.mdb
> But how to I work out a path like that from the FTP info I have so far??

You can't.  His FTP structure does not necessarily bear any resemblance to
the path which Access will use.  You will have to ask the recipient what
UNC path  the FE will access the BE through.

--
Stuart