[AccessD] AXP to Oracle 9i

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 08:42:49 CST 2004

Hi Terri,

You need to have a file on your system called TNSNAMES.ORA

This file tells the ODBC driver where the Oracle database lives.
It's possible that you have one on your system already but perhaps it
doesn't contain the proper entry for the particular instance of the
Oracle database that you are attempting to access. Your Oracle DBA's
should be able to provide this TNSNAMES.ORA file to you.

It could be possible that you have the TNSNAMES.ORA file already but
it is not in the proper location too. Mine lives in the folder;

C:\Oracle\Ora8i\network\ADMIN although doing a search I see I also
have one in the C:\orant\net80\admin folder - both appear to be the
current version of the file. so I'm maybe not sure which one is the
right place for it to be.

I do ODBC to Oracle pretty much every day, both to 8i and 9i
databases. I use both Oracle and Microsoft drivers. At one point the
Microsoft driver seemed to work better but we have been starting to
use the Oracle driver recently as it provides the ability to update
the password whereas the Microsoft one does not.

I have had pretty good luck in googling on Oracle error numbers too -
for example if you google on your error message, this is the first
link that comes up
http://ora-12154.ora-code.com/

This one is a little further down.
http://www.orafaq.com/msgboard/sqlnet/messages/2544.htm

I guess there is also another .ORA file you need called SQLNET.ORA
that points to the TNSNAMES.ORA file. You may also need to run at
least part of the Oracle Client Install in order to get SQLNET
installed on your machine that is used in the background.

Do a search on your system for ".ORA" files and see what you see. If
you don't find any, I would say you need to do the Oracle Client
Install in order to get them set up. Once you have a TNSNAMES.ORA file
on your system, you will need to verify that it contains the info that
points to your Oracle databases. Your dba's will need to provide you
with this file.  This file is used for other tools too so they should
definately be familiar with it.

Good luck!