[AccessD] Select query to append query problem x posted

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Dec 23 01:59:46 CST 2004

Hi Susan

Forgive me asking - but did you know about this or was it a shot in the
dark?

I ask because I would have expected the reverse situation - that
DISTINCT would result in 3 records, while no DISTINCT would result in 14
records.

Also, (Joe?) would using GROUP BY instead of DISTINCT make any
difference? That would have been my first thought trying to solve the
issue.

/gustav

>>> ssharkins at bellsouth.net 22-12-2004 04:48:41 >>>
Run the SELECT without the DISTINCT keyword and see what you get.

Susan H.

I have a select query which properly returns 3 records.

SELECT DISTINCT JobDoc.DocID, stblEmpJobTitle.EmpID FROM JobDoc INNER
JOIN
stblEmpJobTitle ON JobDoc.JobTitleID = stblEmpJobTitle.JobTitleID
WHERE
(((JobDoc.DocID)=[Forms]![JobDocSort]![DocID]) AND
((JobDoc.JobTitleID)=[Forms]![JobDocSort]![JobTitleID]));

When I run the same query as an append query it adds 14 records.

INSERT INTO TrainDate ( DocID, EmpID )
SELECT DISTINCT JobDoc.DocID, stblEmpJobTitle.EmpID FROM JobDoc INNER
JOIN
stblEmpJobTitle ON JobDoc.JobTitleID = stblEmpJobTitle.JobTitleID
WHERE
(((JobDoc.DocID)=[Forms]![JobDocSort]![DocID]) AND
((JobDoc.JobTitleID)=[Forms]![JobDocSort]![JobTitleID]));

The extra records do not seem to have any common link.

JOE HECHT
LOS ANGELES CA
 jmhla at earthlink.net