[AccessD] A2003: 2 Questions -Splash Screen and JPG Importdialogue

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Dec 23 06:07:52 CST 2004

Hi William

Interesting observation!
Any advantage, in Access, of emf compared to bmp?
emf seems to be larger than bmp.

/gustav

>>> dejpolsys at hotmail.com 23-12-2004 08:51:33 >>>
Darren

..I use a one pixel bmp to suppress the Access splash screen and then
load
my own splash form with timer so that I control what the user sees
rather
than what the cpu or Redmond decides to present ...the one pixel bmp is

named exactly the same as the mdb but with the bmp extension ...it has
to be
an actual bmp file, not a renamed rle or jpg, etc. ...it sets in the
same
directory and is inevitably the file immediately above the associated
mdb in
explorer when sorted by name ...this has worked in every mdb since '97
and
continues to work for me in 2K3 ...I can't speak to what effect a large
bmp
splash might have since I don't use them.

..as for the import dialog problem, jpgs are not a native Access
graphic
format and one way or another the format has to be converted ...rather
than
do work arounds and mess with client registry keys I normally convert
any
jpg to an emf graphics file format (which Access handles as a native
graphic
with no conversion required ...emf is the format used by the Win GDI
for
copy/paste operations for instance) before using it in Access ...you
have to
be sure the emf is a good conversion since there are a number of format

converters that only switch the file header and leave the actual raster
as
is (I use paintshoppro) ...another Redmond "special effect" is that
regardless of what the actual file extension is on your HD, you must
call
the file as an .emf rather than .EMF ...if your code uses the capital
letters in the extension Windows WILL try to use the Office graphics
file
filter (and thus the dialog) rather than seeing it as a native file
format
..don't ask me why, don't know, don't care, MS is MS :(

..hth :)

PS ...Steve Lebans has a ton of in depth material on graphics
conversions
within Access and a wealth of resources in other areas as well ...well
worth
a spin      www.lebans.com

William Hindman