[AccessD] Strange corruption

Joseph O'Connell joconnell at indy.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 11:15:45 CST 2004

Cross posted AccessD and Access-L

I recently sent a zipped Access 2000 database to a friend.  He was able to
unzip and run the Access application with no problem, but he had a question
about the code.  So that I could look at the code while talking with him, I
opened the oroiginal version on the computer that was used for development,
a Win XP Pro laptop.  When I attempted to open any module, the message box
informing me that there is a fatal error in Access appeared, the only
options are whether or not to send a report to Microsoft.  After trying this
several times with the same result, I thought that the database might have
become corrupted so I extracted the Access application from the zip file and
tried again.  Same result.

Copying the zip file to a Windows 2000 Terminal Server, unzipping and trying
to look at a module generated the same error.  I then unzipped again, but
before attempting to open a module, I verified that several local tables
were intact and could be opened with no problem.  Opening forms which are
bound to queries that use the tables also did not produce any error.  After
opening tables and forms, the modules then opened as expected without any
errors!

I tried the same procedure on the Win XP machine--unzip, look at a table,
open a form, open a module.  No error, it worked as expected.

Has anyone else experienced strange behavior like this?  Any ideas as to
what could cause this situation?

Joe O'Connell