[AccessD] was SQL Server queries - appending strings

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Feb 1 11:07:16 CST 2004

Hi Jim

> There is a lot of work in creating the 'data-interface' to MSSQL and ADO-OLE
> is the only option (ODBC is too slow....) Stored Procedures are programs,
> subroutines and functions more than just queries. No 'query' import tools
> can work because though SQL SP work similar they are really quite different
> in concept.

Too slow compared to what? Of course, ADP is the way to go for
Access/SQL Server, but - assuming a high quality LAN - speed of ODBC
compared to Jet and to the client's current needs may be fully
acceptable.

If John couldn't speak for himself, he would only need to quote the
messages on this thread to justify for the client that a total rebuild
of the app is too expensive - either it would kill the client's budget
or it would consume an unreasonable part of John's valuable time.

Now, we don't know why the client has obtained this SQL Server. Is it
an idea originated at the client without consulting John about the
consequences, or did John talk the client into it? In the first case
we have a classic example of a situation where the client may be a
fool but no one wins by stressing that point. Hooking the client's
data up via ODBC may quickly set his SQL Server into action with
little effort and within his budget, and he will be happy about his
decision; then later John can prepare a demo showing the advantages of
moving the app to an ADP but, if agreed to do so, at the costs of the
client.

This could very well be an example where (continued) business is more
important then technical excellence.

/gustav