[AccessD] OT: OO?

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Thu Feb 5 14:33:11 CST 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 03:38:17PM +0100, Garraway, Alun wrote:

> <amazon rewiew>
>
> There is really no clear format to what the author is trying to accomplish. This is not about theory or practice, just ramblings about an imaginary progamming language. First, he introduces his own language, then expects you to follow it, with no examples, just his own syntax. Then tries to make this OO. Not recommended for beg or adv. programmers. This book should be titled, "The little book of mahem." This author is clearly not an instructor or mentor, probably just some hack who is trying to cash in on OO. Save your money, and you sanity and stay away from this one.

I don't know what the reviewer's problem was, but I found the book to be
very good. The author, if I recall correctly, is a CS professor somewhere,
and this is used in one of his classes. This book was my introduction to
OO, and I found it to be a clear, concise introduction to a subject I had
little previous exposure to. I've been using what I learned from the book
ever since.

The author does use his own language. I had no problems with it, and I've
been able to apply the concepts to real-life languages with no difficulty.
The topics are very well organized. The author starts with the most basic
data types and gradually adds functionality until he's got full-blown
classes and objects.

If you are looking for something that will get you programming quickly,
this is not it. This is an execellent intro to the concepts.

Bob Hall