[AccessD] HELP! Access97 passthrough query to SQL

Developer Developer at UltraDNT.com
Fri Feb 6 22:02:38 CST 2004

Can you use, or do you have any linked odbc tables?  I  have a SQL BE /
Access FE system that uses a known odbc linked table to grab the connect
string, as in

Qdf.connect =currentdb.tabledefs("dbo_tblclient").connect

Steve,
Trying again :)

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of O'Connor,
Patricia
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 1:27 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: RE: [AccessD] HELP! Access97 passthrough query to SQL

yes this connects to an oracle database - should be pretty close to how
you connect to sql server

    	Dim rs_Pay As New ADODB.Recordset
	Dim cnn As New ADODB.Connection
    	Dim strSql As String

'**** build SQL string

	 strSql = "select p1.PayId, p1.CaseId, p1.PayFrDt, p1.VerInd,
p1.PayType "
    strSql = strSql & "From ZZZ1.TBL_PAYS p1 "
    strSql = strSql & "Where p1.CaseId in (Select distinct p2.CaseId "
    strSql = strSql & "From ZZZ1.TBL_PAYS p2 "
    strSql = strSql & "Where p2.Verind = 'Y' )"
    strSql = strSql & "Order by CaseId, PayFrDt desc"

    cnn.Open fWrtConnect()   '** connects to ORACLE database

    rs_Pay.Open strSql, cnn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic, adCmdText

    With rs_Pay
        If .RecordCount < 1 Then
            Debug.Print "Problem with record set"
            End
        End If
        .MoveFirst
    End With
    rs_Pay.Close
    Set rs_Pay = Nothing
    Set cnn = Nothing
Public Function fWrtConnect() As String
Dim strConn As String
Dim strUserId As String
Dim strPassword As String

strUserId = InputBox("Enter your ORACLE User ID", "GET ORACLE USER ID")
If strUserId = "" Then
    MsgBox "Missing Oracle User ID - Abort"
    Exit Function
End If
strPassword = InputBox("Enter your ORACLE PassWord", "GET ORACLE
Password") If strPassword = "" Then
    MsgBox "Missing Oracle Password - Abort"
    Exit Function
End If
strConn = "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=XXX;"
strConn = strConn & "User ID=" & strUserId & ";Password=" & strPassword
& ";" fWrtConnect = strConn

End Function
----
-----