[AccessD] Re: Teaching Access Course

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Tue Feb 10 14:52:43 CST 2004

Jim,

I think you are trying to cover way too much in too short of a time.  I
have taught Access, from people who were not sure of the spelling of it to
people who thought they knew everything there was to know about it.

What are they wanting to accomplish?  You should tailor the sessions to the
purpose they want to accomplish.  For example, I am teaching a 3 hour
introduction to queries a week from Saturday to a class of 4 or 5
people.  The purpose is for them to be able to query the database for
themselves to get information, create mail merge lists, etc.

Normalization itself is a two day class.  But here is the 10 minute version
of it.

We are going to build a database to hold recipes. Write down on a sheet of
paper the things we need to store about a recipe.  Now, look at each item
and ask the question, "Can there EVER be more than one of this item?"  If
the answer is "Yes," then you will need another table to hold the data.  If
you follow that without wavering, you will get to 5th normal form.  ;-)

For example "ingredient"  Can a recipe ever have more than one
ingredient?  Yes, then there needs to be a table to hold them.  Can an
ingredient ever use more than one kind of measure?  Yes.  Then the
measurement method needs to be in a table.  Can a recipe fit into more than
one category (dessert, main course, bread, etc)?  Yes.  Then there needs to
be a table to hold it.

My guess would be that they want to be able to query the database and do
reports.  Day 1 - Queries  Day 2 - Reports  ;-)

Robert