[AccessD] forced logout

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 10 20:33:19 CST 2004

That is surely an idea.  OTOH I want to be able to edit a record in a table
dynamically to allow the FE to see that it is time to log out.  One problem
with "the back end directory" is that it may not even exist, or it may be
several different directories.  If you are using SQL Server, where is "the
back end directory"?  If the FE links to 3 different BEs on different
machines, where is "the BE directory"?  Of course you can then define a
directory field in a table that the logout code looks in to see this file.

And of course, what about web pages hitting the be?  How do you tell them to
stay out for a time period?  With a table they could essentially use the
same logic the FE uses.  this brings up the issue of time zones of course.
The record needs to include the time zone that the database server resides
in since

And sure, different computers could have different times.  If that is an
issue there are programs that can be run on each workstation that sync the
workstations to the server's clock.