[AccessD] Re: Database Operation from Remote Sites

bruce_bruen at mlc.com.au bruce_bruen at mlc.com.au
Thu Feb 12 20:22:25 CST 2004

I dont know whether I'm being a bit basic here, but there are a few
considerations regarding ASP deployment that are relevant to persuing it as
an answer to the original business problem.

1) ASP is a server side technology.  The ASP engine must be present and
available on the corporate web server in order for the technology to work.
While this is fine if you are using an in-house web presence to deploy on,
if you are relying on external providers you need to consider the
availability of ASP support on that environment.
2) ASP is proprietry technology, it requires the use of a Microsoft web
server, IIS (or PWS!) to supply the generated pages.  There are some
alternatives available, notably Sun JaveServer ASP or Apache:ASP
(supporting PERL script only).  I understand that the Apache solution is
still very much a work in process.  So before deciding on ASP at the
application level one must enquire as to constraints imposed by the
corporate web server technology currently in place or planned.
3) There are two flavours of ASP, ASP traditional and ASP.Net - these are
very different execution environments.  Consider what constraints exist on
which is possible in your environment.  Secondly, consider the future of
the technology - enough has been written here recently on just that topic.
Where is the deployment environment headed within your economic window.
4) Security for web deployed applications is a huge issue - and not an
issue to be dismissed at the application software level. Deployement of
your application will require you to understand the security architecture
required by your corporate policies and an understanding of the
implications of that architecture on your ASP pages.
5) Deployment will also require you to fully understand the performance
expectations and requirements at the business user level and whether a web
deployed application will "fail" in the field if it cannot meet those
expectations. Not only pure performance, but other "human interface"
aspects can degrade
the user percieved value of the system if you are not very careful.
Understand the target user, their needs and constraints.  The goal of
collecting the data for corporate information analysis will only be met if
the information in is good! (This is ovbviously not related directly to
using ASP as a solution but a consideration nonetheless).

Bruce