[AccessD] increasing database size

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Feb 15 03:49:00 CST 2004

Hi Erwin

> Is'nt that a bad idea?

Not that I know of. On the other hand, you per definition eliminate
frontend corruption - not that it is a big problem with WinNT+ but
with Win9x we saw that from time to time. Also, Access needs to create
temporary data for running some queries dealing with complex or large
datasets; when the frontend is write protected, these data are forced
to temporary files. With Pedro's form opening 1 + 12 queries, this
could be his bloat problem ...

As for the compilation, I've never heard this should happen more than
once. For code it happens when you compile it which I guess we all do
before leaving an app. As for the queries, do you mean the "~$.."
saved queries created when you run a form or report bound to SQL-code
and not to a saved query? Those, of course, Access will need to create
every time if the file is write protected, but with today's fast
machines I wonder if a difference can be noted and - if so - you could
just save the SQL-code as queries in the normal way.

By the way, that could be a part of Pedro's speed problem: Are you
using saved queries for all those combos?

/gustav