[AccessD] Table Structure questions

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sat Feb 21 17:30:33 CST 2004

On 21 Feb 2004 at 17:39, DJK(John) Robinson wrote:

> I think you've all lost the plot, mostly:
>
> 1.	Each individual answer *has* to identify the question it relates to,
> if you want to make any sense of the analysis!  (Re-read Mark's posting,
> repeated below.  There are different simultaneously existing sets of 25
> questions, and each set varies with time.)
>
> 2.	So a million records at 6 bytes each gives you ... 6 MB!  Maybe I've
> been working too much with SQLS lately, but this minuscule amount, coupled
> with the simplicity and flexibility of design, and ease of
> querying/reporting, is "more efficient" (Mark's phrase) than groping about
> in strings.
> IF (really?) you think that disk space is the only criterion, then you
> shouldn't be wasting a whole byte on each answer, when a couple of bits
> would do!
>
> Stick to Normal form, unless there's a GOOD reason not to.

It's not the overall size, it's the number of records. As Mark said:

".but with this method I will be over 1 million records in 6 months.
I've informed them they will need some BE other than access for this
scenario.
The question I have...is there a more efficient way to store this
type of data?"

Manipulating 1,000,000+ records in an Access table can be a real
PITA.

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg