I ask impossible questions????? (RE: [AccessD] Array dimensions, Row - Col or Col Row)

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 22 11:52:39 CST 2004

I did a little file list demo a couple years ago that MTM might take a look
at.

Just starting with 2003 which I neither own nor have installed on any
machine I can get my hands on.  It is installed on a security
hypochondriac's terminal server to which I will obtain a login later next
week.  If any addins are needed, it will probably be a struggle.  Very
likely no VBA help will be installed so if and when object dependencies
arise, it will be something I may have to address.  There are 20 concurrent
users and 6 may open two instances of the same database at the same time,
all at the end of 6 dsl connections to different offices.  Ten of the users
share a single dsl connection.  Six laptops will need to synchronize files
(11 gigabytes are managed by the system) and data (BE sits at 19 megabytes
at present).  There will be no replication tools.

A great many people are not moving to .NET.  Look at www.mvps.org and you'll
see little mention of it.  VB 6 is not about to expire and there is little
need to expose mature objects in MS Office applications to modification at
the root levels.  There was a period of time where I believed that I would
need to learn C++ or Java to do programming from the ground up but it looks
like Microsoft has taken much of the best from both of these to build a
newer and somewhat more mature Javaesqe language.  That is not to say I
would want to build a replacement for Word as there is so little sense in
doing so.  There is a world of difference between building your own object
heirarchy and using a mature documented and well understood object model.

The transition to .NET requires a large investment in understanding and
developing object hierarchies before writing any code.  With VB and VBA it
was relatively safe to dive in once the tables were designed.

An acquaintance told me a story of an impossible development task with a
ridiculous delivery date.  He had to deliver a .NET application in a few
weeks and he firmly believed that the task was impossible given the time
constraints.  Rather than panic, he decided to work with the schedule and
devote time to planning the hierarchy and overall structure believing that
if he documented his work, he would demonstrate to his employer that he
worked hard but the task was impossible.  He was shocked to find that he
completed the project with time to spare.

I don't have that comfort with .NET.  There are times when I live and
breathe code and there have been many times where I would have to go to
excessive lengths to get Access to do what I wanted and as a result, I'm
finding that .NET is a pretty good fit.  I believe users need drag and drop
and more flexible formatting in lists, combos and continuous forms.  When I
look at what I've done in ASP in the past and do the comparison with ASP.NET
and how learning VB.NET yeilds returns in that area as well, I'm convinced
that learning .NET will give me a good return on my investment.  I have also
heard from numerous acquaintances that many of the jobs that are offered
require either open source or .NET experience.  Every fundamental concept I
learned about Java translates well to .NET.  If I had to guess at the
future, I would see VB/A surviving as a kind of power user programming
language and a new crop of programmers steeped in UML and object hierarchy
design since their teens that will embrace the true object oriented
languages.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta