I ask impossible questions????? (RE: [AccessD] Array dimensions, Row - Col or Col Row)

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 24 15:39:43 CST 2004

>However, there is very little that you can do in one, that you can't do in
the other.

Well... not exactly.

VBA is Visual Basic for Applications and is simultaneously a superset of and
a subset of VB (Visual Basic).

VBA is different for each "Application" that is the A portion of VBA.  VBA
for Access is not the same as VBA for Word as VBA for Excel etc.  VBA for
Access understands Database things, VBA for Word understands document things
(paragraphs for example), VBA for Excel understands Cells for example.

That is the "Superset" part of VB.  It is VB with something (a LOT!) added.

It is also a subset because there are a handful of things that VB can do
that VBA can't.

Thus to say that "there is very little you can do in one that you can't in
the other" is very misleading.  I can apply formatting to selected test in
VBA for Word where VB hasn't a clue what text even exists.

Now I understand that these "objects" exist in libraries and VB can access
these libraries, but... and this is a BIG but... if Office is loaded then
VBA exists whether or not VB is loaded on a machine, whereas the Word.OLB
does NOT exist unless Office is loaded.  Thus VBA for word can do paragraphs
regardless of anything else.  If Word is loaded, VBA for word can do that
stuff.

A VB programmer on the other hand has to make sure that Word is loaded
before he can use the .olb.