[AccessD] Backup routines

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 24 17:21:58 CST 2004

  Many years ago I was a systems programmer on a mainframe, I ran a
daily tape backup, rotating the tapes with a weekly backup, then a
monthly and a yearly. Today I would go with 30 days, and the oldest of
thirty days or at the end of the month it would become the next monthly
backup. Yes you need a yearly backup
to possibly restore old financial data or whatever your countries' or
state's expiration or retention periods are on specific types of data
(some medical periods are 30 years under state laws). This method also
allows you to trace back or correct a mistake that may have been made
months ago.This backup procedure is usually called "grandfather father
son". Most hospitals have a records officer, so I would discuss backup
retention periods with them.
Gary is right about offsite backup. I was once involved with a hospital
that burned down, had to fly in a new hospital that was then reset up in
an school.
Also at least a couple of times a year test your backup is viable. Not
much fun finding out your tape drive has been out of synch for 3 months
and the tapes are unreadable.
Oracle has a 500 page manual on backup practices and methodology.