[AccessD] Determining Time for Project

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 25 16:46:30 CST 2004

...first things first Bryan ...you MUST write a product spec that defines
everything your project is expected to accomplish ...AND get your boss or
client to sign off on it IN WRITING ...then and ONLY then can you talk to
anyone about how much time it will take  ...the fact that you THINK you know
what the application needs won't mean diddly if its not in writing before
you start ...someone will want this MINOR change ...and then there'll be the
"just add this small feature" bits ...etc, etc, ad infinitum ...only if its
in writing and your time estimate is based solely on that spec do you have a
viable defense against the changes everyone will inevitably ask for ...if
its in writing, you can say "Yes I CAN change that but it'll take another 24
man-hours ...just sign here to authorize the additional time" ...but if its
only in your head you can't use that because the requester will almost
always say it was his understanding that that was how it was supposed to be
from the start and its your problem if it needs fixing ...been there, never
going back :((((

...other than that, I find Drew's WAG method as accurate as most :))))

William Hindman "My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with
me." Disraeli