[AccessD] A97 - 2003 conversion

Jürgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:18:45 CST 2004

Thanks Marty:

This is for my former Employer - now Client construction company that does
not run WordPerfect.  I do have lawyer clients running Office 2000 though
and will keep track of this tidbit because many run both Word and
Wordperfect for their boilderplate.

The other news is that the 97 - 2003 conversion appears to run without issue
including automation code for Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Project.  I
haven't tested all aspects yet but those that I have seem to work without
issue.  A far bigger issue is that they are moving from an MS 2000 Windows
to 2003 and the screen fonts are all much smaller.  The result of that
conversion is that much of my drag and drop pixel based code requires
revision.  For some reason the drag form now truncates in width
notwithstanding that it uses a API calls to determine the width of the text
using the actual screen font.  The drag distance had a few constants that I
hard coded that need to be revised or convert to API based dynamic code.
The biggest conversion headache is that a number of fonts have been changed
such that they exceed the screen realestate allotted at the original design
time.  The good news is that the new screen uses smaller screen fonts than
the old so while the old and new applications run at 1024*768, the forms use
only the left and top 2/3's of the screen.  What seems to have messed up the
most in the conversion is the fonts on tabs.

Most of the other issues relate to ODBC to outside data sources that appear
no longer to work.  It does look like I can continue to use the Access 97
file ODBC and link data imported into a 97 container to the 2003
application.  I'll give this a shot tomorrow.  The downside is that I'll
have to import into the 97 mdb whereas previously I had only to overwrite
the prelinked file.  A change in that file format from some kind of text
file to a Pervasive SQL database file may yet cause some headaches as the
software vendor advises that their ODBC still only works with Access 97
files.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta