[AccessD] Where do they store the toolbar info

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Jan 2 12:38:12 CST 2004

John,

I've discovered that the toolbars I am discussing are either showing or not
for EVERY form, though thinking back on it I'm a bit confused about this
because I would go through a bunch of small forms in this app and one would
display the toolbar, the next would not.

In any case, at this specific moment the right click toolbar menu that opens
when I right click the menu bar at the top of the app had 5 toolbars
available to be clicked.

Clipboard
Form view
Web
ToolbarDataEntry (a custom toolbar)
ToolBarMenu (a custom toolbar)

Any one or ALL of these can be selected / deselected while a form is open.
If you close the form and open another form, the toolbars are still open,
although again I swear that some forms showed them, others didn't.

At any rate, I discovered that if you right click the menu bar, then select
customize, a slew of toolbars are available to be displayed by checking the
check box to the left of each.  However, if you select a toolbar and go into
properties, there are several checkboxes available:

Allow Customizing
Allow Resizing
Allow Moving
Allow Show/Hiding

If you unclick the Allow Show/hiding then you can't cause that toolbar to
appear even if you select it, where normally you would be able to display
the toolbar just by checking it's selector checkbox.

So IF it is currently displayed, you can't cause it to go away.  If it's not
displayed, you can't cause it to display.

It then turns out that you can customize your development environment by
(for example):

Going into design view of something like a form.
Make sure Allow show/hiding is checked for a toolbar you want
go into Customize and select the toolbars you want for that view (design /
form).
Deselect Allow show / hide for those toolbars.

Now you can't get rid of the toolbars in that view (design forms)

Go into View forms (viewing the form opened).
make sure Allow show/hide is checked for the toolbar you want
Go into customize and select the toolbar(s) you want displayed (or deselect
any "problem" toolbars you DON'T want)
Deselect Allow  show/hide for those toolbars.

Now the toolbars selected cannot be deselected and the ones you DON'T want
can't be selected.

It seems like a royal PITA to set this up.  There are so many toolbars that
you have to futz with to get things right, however it looks like when you
are done this problem would go away.

And I still don't know how Access stores what toolbars are being viewed in
any view of any given access object (form/report/module etc).  It looks like
a form in view mode can have a set of toolbars, a different set in design
view, reports have a set in view mode, a different set in design mode etc.
all of which can then be "locked down" so that nothing can be taken away and
likewise nothing extra can be added.

But WHAT A PAIN doing it manually.