[AccessD] OT: Compaq vs. Dell

Eric Barro ebarro at afsweb.com
Wed Jan 14 10:02:20 CST 2004

I am biased in favor of COMPAQ servers. I hated COMPAQ desktops in the past because of the custom stuff they did with either the components or the OS. The servers however are another story. I have worked with the ML350s, ML530s, DL320s and DL380s. Each one was better than its predecessor.

The COMPAQ servers look really heavy duty whilst the DELL servers look really lightweight. I have popped the hood on COMPAQ servers (out of curiosity at what the "engine" looks like inside the machine) but have not done so with the DELL servers.

In my limited experience of using tech support I have found COMPAQ support to be easier to reach. DELL support put us on hold and gave us the run around quite a number of times.

---
Eric Barro
Senior Systems Analyst
Advanced Field Services