[AccessD] Error 3218 "Couldn't Update; Currently Locked"

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 16 08:22:29 CST 2004

<<We use A2K SP1 on a Novell network.
occasionally the users get the following error:
Error 3218 "Couldn't Update; Currently Locked">>

  There are lots of things that will cause that message, but I think you
might be barking up the wrong tree in that it's a Novell problem.

  From your comments abut it being "buggy", I would think more that the app
was poorly written and stepping on it's own toes, resulting in the above
error.

  One way to check that out easily is to copy the backend to a local drive,
re-link the tables (I'm assuming it's a split app), then test.  If you still
get the error messages it has nothing to do with Novell.  If the error
disappears, then it's related to locking.

  The other test you can do is using the SetOption method of the dbEngine
object, set dbMaxLocksPerFile to a number less then the allowed number of
locks under Novell.  This will ensure that JET never uses more locks then
Novell allows.  If that was the problem, the error messages will disappear.

Jim Dettman
President,
Online Computer Services of WNY, Inc.
(315) 699-3443