[AccessD] Re: Remove Punctuation

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Thu Jan 22 13:10:33 CST 2004

Greg,

Try this function.  It seems to work on everything I could throw at it.

*****  Watch for word wrap  *****

Function ReplaceChar(InputString As String) As String
     Dim intLen As Integer
     Dim intCounter As Integer
     'First, remove all carriage returns/linefeeds from the string
     InputString = Replace(InputString, vbCrLf, " ")
     'Find the length of the remaining string now that CR/LF are removed
     intLen = Len(InputString)
     'Now loop through each remaining character in the string, and if it is
a control
     'character (ASCII value less than 32 and > 32 but < 47), then replace
that character with a space
     For intCounter = 1 To intLen
         If Asc(Mid(InputString, intCounter, 1)) < 32 Then
             InputString = Replace(InputString, Mid(InputString,
intCounter, 1), "")
         End If
     intLen = Len(InputString)
     For intCounter = 1 To intLen - 1
         If Asc(Mid(InputString, intCounter, 1)) > 32 And
Asc(Mid(InputString, intCounter, 1)) < 47 Then
             InputString = Replace(InputString, Mid(InputString,
intCounter, 1), "")
         End If
     'Return the input string, which has now had all control charcters
     'converted into spaces
     ReplaceChar = InputString
End Function

Robert