[AccessD] Error 2468 - You can'tcarry out this action at thepresent time - notsolved

Rocky Smolin - Beach Access Software bchacc at san.rr.com
Fri Jan 30 12:00:16 CST 2004

Charlotte (or anybody else with a wild idea):

This is the strangest Access problem I've ever encountered.

I have tracked the problem down to one field on the sub-form.  When I delete
that field, everything works.

The field is named fldPODUnitCost and is the unit cost of the purchase order
detail line.  (BTW, I checked the back end definition of this field and
didn't see anything different from the other numeric fields.)

On the theory that there was some difference in a property of this text box
from one that was working, I tried deleting the text box, copying the text
box which holds the quantity ordered (fldPODQuantityOrdered) and changing
the name and Control Source back to fldPODUnitCost.  No luck.

Then I tried deleting the fldPODUnitCost and dropping it in fresh from the
Field List.  Same problem.

Here's two strange things:

1) there are two calculated fields on the sub-form which use fldPODUnitCost
   the extension (=[fldPODUnitCost]*[fldPODQuantityOrdered])
   and the total of the lines
(=Sum([fldPODUnitCost]*[fldPODQuantityOrdered])).
These fields both display the correct information even though fldPODUnitCost
isn't on the form.

2) there's a line of code in a procedure which referenced fldPODUnitCost:

Me.fldPODUnitCost = rs!MaterialCost

which pulls the unit cost from the Part Master table - a DAO record set.
When I step through the code (F8) it sails right through this line as if the
control was there and inserts the right value from rs!MaterialCost.  But it
ain't there.

What do you make of this?

Thanks in advance,

Rocky Smolin