[AccessD] Urgent: Problem with mscomctl.ocx

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 31 17:28:40 CDT 2004

Well   mscomctl.ocx ver 6.0.81.77 is installed by Office 2000 and Office
2000 SR-1 ; ver 6.0.84.50 by Office 2000 developer
6.1.83.36  by various version of`SQL Server and  6.1.95.45   by Office
XP SP2 and Office 2003
I don't know what mscmde.dll is (a typo)

You can find this info at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversion/default.asp?vartarget=msdn

If you really do need your version of the control, you might get away
with installing the dll's in the same directory as your mdb,
if they don't need to be registered. Maybe your Access program will run
with the old controls.
To get back the old versions your client will probably have to reinstall
office 2000.

How Access searches for reference libraries.
------------
First, Access searches for a RefLibPaths key in the following location
in the Microsoft Windows Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Access

If the key exists, Access checks for the existence of a value name that
matches the name of the referenced file. If it finds a matching value
name, Access loads the reference from the path specified in the
corresponding value data.

If Access doesn't find a RefLibPaths key, it searches for the referenced
file in the locations listed below in the following order:
Application folder containing the application (the folder where
Msaccess.exe is located).
Current folder.
System folders (the System and System32 folders located in the Windows
or WINNT folder).
Windows or WINNT folder.
PATH environment variable. For more information about environment
variables, see Windows Help.
The folder that contains the Access file, and any subfolders located in
that folder.
If Access still can't find the reference after performing this search,
you must fix the reference manually.

This is why it is generally better to use SageKey Scripts for an install.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.